Friday, May 20, 2011

Great Idea: Sailboat Onesie and Cap


This week (and for the next couple of weeks!) I'm going to be featuring items I've made...but haven't blogged about yet...on Fridays!

This week I'm featuring a cute little embellished onesie and cap that I made for my sweet cousin, not too long ago!

I made this for a shower gift for my cousin, who just had her baby - a boy - just last week!  This is her first baby, and I wanted to make something fun and useful...and without spending anything!  I'm on a "use-up-all-the-stuff-that's-mucking-up-the-craft-room-before-you-even-think-about-getting-anything-else" kick lately.  I'm loving what I've been creating!!

I decided to try my hand at an applique (there are soooooooo many super cute embellished onesies out there right now!)...but I sorta wimped out, and ended up using felt instead of "real" fabric.  (Any of you who have done this...share your tips!)

I found a onesie from my craft stash, some small scraps of felt, my hot glue gun, embroidery floss, and some baby yarn, and got to work!  (Yup.  I keep weird things like brand-new onesies in my craft stash.  Doesn't everyone?)

I cute out the shapes for my little boat and waves, and held them in place n the shirt with a tiny dab of glue.  Then I just embroidered/stitched around the edges of with embroidery floss!

I think it turned out really cute!




To go with the onesie I crocheted a teeny little brimmed beanie out of baby blue yarn!




This was a fun project...and I think I'll give it another try sometime!



Hope you have a great weekend!!


Image and video hosting by TinyPic